Saturday, November 6, 2010

Not a dry eye in the house ...

Gerry Canelli's toast to his entire family but especially to daughter, Jill, and daughter-in-law, Alyssa:
In a few moments, I am going to ask you all to raise your glasses in a first toast to this married couple. But first I want to take this opportunity to say a few words of introduction before the toast.

The day, as are most, is all about the love and support of friends and family. And I have been so blessed with the family I have. I brag or boast about them from time to time, and I often just sit back and beam at who they have become and how they are growing. And yes, I am going to single out some. Why? Because as I grow older I realize how important it is to seize the opportunity and say things when I can.

So, first, and he probably hasn't heard this directly from me before. I must say I am so very proud of my godson, Dan, over there with his family. An amazing man with an equally amazing family.

My grandson, Colin, who is growing into such a fine young man. We are all so proud to be by your side as you are growing up. You ARE so great and I'd be so totally lost without you by my side.

My son, Gerry, Jr., who has worked fifteen years at EMC and now is just one course away from his master's degree in the spring. You are doing some amazing stuff, my son ... can you see someone smiling down at you? I can and she's real proud.

I have been blessed with the addition of two gorgeous "bonus" daughters and I marvel at each and every interaction with them. Beth who is in a doctoral program at Harvard and Ciara who just completed her master's degree over in Ireland. I love you both.

My wife, Charlotte. I guess we can still be considered newlyweds at three years, right? I cherish and admire you so much. Not just for what you do at work or how you interact with people, or how you always make me smile and be happy but for the way you take care of the whole family. I have said it before, you are definitely God-sent to me and to us. I am proud to have you and love you as my wife and best friend.

And this of course leads me to my daughter, Jill.

You have given me all sorts of reasons to be proud over the years. You have embraced my love of the outdoors, I have watched you shine in so many ways as you play soccer, or basketball (although you still have a brick of a shot, that will never change.) I watch you as you follow in your mother, Jeanne's, footsteps with your interaction with children and their education. And now you are in a master's program and so it begins again.

You have been a daughter, a little sister, a big sister, an aunt, and you even stepped in for awhile and helped take on a bit of a parental role when we needed it in this family. I am so proud of you. BUT, I have never been more proud of you than on this day,

I know it hasn't always been easy. Life is not always easy. You are following your own path, following your own heart and doing what Jill needs to do. It takes a lot of strength to do that, and I really admire you for that. I have watched you grow in so many more ways with Alyssa by your side. I see it in the sparkle in both of your eyes. I see and hear the care in the ways that you interact. The real Jill is still blossoming! And I look forward to more of that.

And to beautiful Alyssa. I have to say that we have loved you from the very beginning. You are such a welcomed blessing to this family. I am proud that you are Jill's wife and proud to be able to call you my daughter-in-law.

I want to ask you all now to raise your glasses.

To the newly married couple, Jill and Alyssa, speaking on behalf of the Canelli side of the family, and those present here tonight and those looking down from above ... I want to wish you only the best that life can give you.

May all your hopes and dreams come true and may the memory of this day become dearer with each passing year. A toast to your health, your happiness, and most of all your love of each other. I love you both. Congratulations!